BA (Hons) Criminology & Sociology
: UndergraduateCareer Path
: Criminology / SociologyCourse Category
: BA (Hons)Information
With the BA (Hons) in Criminology & Sociology programme, you will have the opportunity to study two complementary areas of social science with interdisciplinary modules that explore the relationships between crime and society. The course dedicates equal time to criminology and sociology, with criminology focusing on the comprehension of crime, victims and offenders, law enforcement, the criminal justice system, and sociology studying social relationships and institutions and contemporary social issues. You will study problems that affect society in a larger scale, such as poverty, inequality and social injustice, as well as understand the impact of social, economic and political factors in several levels of society.
By adopting an equal focus on both criminology and sociology, students will explore the factors, causes, consequences and enforcement of crime and how it impacts society in several levels. As such, students will acquire an insight into social values and behaviours, looking at crime in a wider social context by understanding how individuals and institutions respond to it. Students can expect to grasp a solid knowledge of social values, behaviours and change, as well as of the function and place of crime within modern societies. Therefore, with a unique curriculum that approaches two well-established social sciences fields, students will acquire knowledge, comprehension and a range of practical skills relating to both disciplines.
Modules for this course are taught through a combination of blended and online learning. This method mixes traditional face to face classes with the flexibility of online studying, with a strong emphasis on independent study and a range of assets to aid students with their coursework online.
Who is this programme for?
The course is perfect for those who aspire to gain an in-depth personal or professional knowledge in two leading fields in the social sciences, as well as grasp the interdisciplinary, critical comprehension of crime and social issues in the contemporary world. The programme will enable you to build a promising professional future in your area of choice.
Employment stats and USP’s:
- Arden University has received 4.5* for student satisfaction
- Arden has supported 50,000 higher education learners over 26 years
- 96% graduates are in employment or further study 6 months after graduation
- 79% students saw their career improve as a direct result of their studies
• AMBA Accreditation since 2011 with some triple-accredited partners which only 1% of the world’s elite business schools receive
• Programmes with top global rankings – the MIB is ranked 20th in the world by the Economist in 2017
• International student cohort with over 40 nationalities represented
• Scholarships, flexible payment plans and early-bird discounts available
• Perfect city centre locations in Berlin
• Free German classes and 100% in English
1. Germany has the 2nd best unemployment rate in the EU, at 3.4%*
2. 4th Best Graduate starting salary at £40,650 in Europe, with a growing economy**
3. Germany is the most popular option for international students looking to study in Europe; It is recognised for its high-quality education and you can experience this with GISMA***.
4. Berlin, Germany’s capital is the start-up technology capital of Europe
5. Berlin is the second largest city in the EU and has a thriving business scene, offering a range of job opportunities to young professionals and graduates.
Germany is well known for its rich history in culture and arts, offering students an enriching international experience whilst combining world-class education from our globally ranked partner institutions.
***According to statistics and data from ICEF monitor
Having completed this degree, graduates will have a wide variety of career options they can explore. These include, but are not limited to:
- Social work
- Crime prevention
- Community work
- Court services
- Mental health
- Central and location government
Other areas where graduates can find opportunities include human resources, marketing, research and advertising.
Two subjects at GCE A level or equivalent, plus passes at grade C or above in three subjects at GCSE level or equivalent; or
For non-standard entry requirements, please contact us
An English language level equivalent to IELTS 6.0 or above with a minimum of 5.5 in each componentCourse Duration
: 3 yearsLocations
Awarding body / Certified by: Arden University