BA (Hons) in Graphic Design.
Course Type: Undergraduate
Career Path: Creative Arts
Course Category: BA
Why enrol on this programme.
This three years/four-year International Route programme has been selected by BSBI from among the many prestigious international degrees offered by University for the Creative Arts (UCA).
This course encourages students to develop a creative mindset with the dedicated support of our expert faculty who have years of top industry experience. Your learning will be enhanced through teamwork, industry experience and stimulating live competitions.
Throughout this exciting degree, our aim is to foster new talent into creative leaders within the commercially oriented field of graphic design. From typography to visual corporate identity, you’ll meet the demands for UI/UX design solutions, websites and digital publishing. This is the guided pathway for our students to generate outstanding quality content for their successful futures within the communications industry.
Student Satisfaction Survey 2020 revealed that:
- 87% of students are satisfied with their experience at BSBI - Source: BSBI March 2020 Student Survey
- 88% of students feel their ideas are valued in their course - Source: BSBI March 2020 Student Survey
Why study in Hamburg:
1. Hamburg ranks high in livability indexes and “best places to live” surveys. For several years, the Greater Hamburg area has been named as the European Union’s most affluent region.- Source: Economist Intellignce Unit
2. Diversity - German citizens make up 71% of Hamburg’s inhabitants, Non-nationals make up 14% of Hamburg’s total inhabitants and there are 26.9% inhabitants with migrant background. Source: Council of Europe
3. Hamburg shows it is at the heart of the creative industries within Europe. Designers and illustrators can benefit from digitization and the positive economic situation in Germany, did you know the industry has had an average growth of 4.1% until 2014-2019 in the communication design industry? Source: Ibisworld.com
4. Exposure to established creative agencies: Study in Hamburg and be close to creative agencies like Jung von Matt, Blynk, Serious, Paperlux Studio, Sum.Cumo. Better yet, be near to start ups featuring client portfolios reaching from BMW, Google, Airbus to Mercedes Benz and Mc’ Donalds.
5. Opportunities Abound: Of 1.2 Million employed in the creative industries, over 30%, around 472k are based in the software/gaming industry. Source: Statista
In Hamburg, the software and games industry accounts for 28% percent of the workforce. Source: Monitoring report culture and creative industries 2019 on behalf of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi). ZEW - Leibniz Center for European Economic Research GmbH Mannheim. Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research ISI. December 2019
Possible Course Requirements:
Minimum age: 18 (titles awarded upon completion of at least 12 years of schooling)
During the foundation year of this course, you’ll be taught how to create an exceptional portfolio to guarantee you a direct progression into your degree course.
Academic qualifications: A school leaving certificate with a pass to pursue higher education in Germany e.g. Abitur, Fachhochschulreife or Matura. Alternatively, an international baccalaureate, international school leaving certificates, BTEC/national diploma or advanced vocational certificate of education will be accepted.
If you do not meet the above academic requirements, applicants with professional qualifications and/or four years of full-time work experience will be considered on an individual basis.
TOP-UP Entry requirements.
• Portfolio submission: HTK graduates are not required to present a portfolio upon certified successful completion of their vocational training and are eligible for a direct entry into year 3 Top Up Degree.
English language requirements:
• HTK students are required to pass BSBI English diagnostics test which will be provided by BSBI in Hamburg.
English language requirements:
IELTS Academic - Minimum overall score of 6.0 (with min 5.5 in each component) or equivalent test (i.e. Password Test, PTE, TOEFL IBT)
The English Language test can be waived and a medium of instruction letter submitted if:
Applicants have achieved NARIC recognised high school certificate or above*, where the medium was entirely taught in English (teaching and assessment)
You are a Canadian national who has completed studies at an English-speaking school/college/university
West African Certificates (WAEC AND NECO only) with a minimum of C6 in English and issued within the last 5 years. Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) is also accepted with an overall grade C or above. For applications from Tanzania and Cameroon, we request an IELTS (or equivalent certificate)
Cambridge IGCSE, Cambridge AICE certificates International baccalaureate diploma with: English Syllabus A: Standard or Higher Grade 4, or above and English Syllabus B: Standard Grade 5 or Higher Grade 4, or above.
Nationals of majority English speaking countries who have obtained their academic qualifications in that country do not need to sit an English test. This includes applicants from Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Malta, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, UK and USA.
* A high school certificate can be an undergraduate certificate, undergraduate diploma, HNC, HND,CertHE, DipHE, etc.
Course Duration: 3 years / 4 years including integrated international foundation studies in Art Design and Media
Campus Based: Yes