Creative Direction (M.A.)
: Master of Arts
Duration of Study
: 3 semesters for applicants with 210 ECTS // 3 semesters plus 1 Pre Semester course for applicants with 180 ECTS
: 90, 30 (Pre-Semester)
: University/B.A. degree with at least 180 ECTS and an average grade of at least 2.5, TOEFL test (at least 81 out of 120 points) or IELTS (at least 6.0 out of 9); equivalent qualifications may also be accepted, as applicable, curriculum vitae – signed personally, letter of recommendation (by your lecturer or employer), personal motivation statement, personal interview with a selection panel/skype interview for international students
Open Media Master M.A., Specialisation Creative Direction (M.A.).
Do you want to play an active role at the interface between the product and its development process?
A creative director works in the design and entertainment industry, e.g. in advertising, communications design, live communication or the games, film, music, fashion or event industries, and plays an important role at the interface between the product and its development process. Other job titles include art director or lead designer. He or she is responsible for leading the communication and interaction design process as well as for other conceptual tasks.
A creative director is also a team leader with expertise in graphic or general design, motion graphics and other related fields. This role requires a complex set of skills which cannot only be acquired through a study programme but also needs to be developed through professional work experience in relevant industries. Nevertheless this study programme can prepare students to take on leadership roles by giving them knowledge in design disciplines as well as an indepth understanding of management and communication.
Gaining experience in large teams and projects is important, as a creative director has to oversee and manage projects, make decisions and take on responsibilities so deadlines and budgets can be met. Creative directors need to enable the teams they lead to come up with the best, most creative ideas. In order to do this, he or she needs to learn fast and incorporate team members’ ideas and strategies into project solutions.
Macromedia is the only university in Germany to offer such a comprehensive programme combining management, leadership and design. All lecturers are highly qualified and experienced in relevant industries.
Prerequisites and Pre-Semester course
To begin a master’s programme, you require at least 210 ECTS. If you have completed your bachelor’s degree with 180 ECTS, Macromedia University offers the option of obtaining the extra 30 ECTS needed in a Pre-Semester course.
The Pre-Semester course is an attendance-based course that starts in the winter semester to ensure you can begin the master’s programme in the summer semester without any difficulty.
Your benefits at Macromedia University
- Top position in CHE Ranking 2014/15*
- Small classes with intensive, individual supervision
- Globally recognised, state-approved degrees, accredited by FIBAA
- Campuses in Berlin & Munich: two of the Top 5 “Most Affordable Cities for Students 2015” worldwide**
- Authentic, practice oriented projects with over 500 well-known companies
- Highly qualified professors and industry insiders as lecturers
- International students from all continents
- Career perspectives in Germany: 18 months visa after successful graduation
- Master’s degree on three days a week (e.g. from Thursday to Saturday)
- Pre-Semester course available online
- Buddy network for international students
- Several Programmes entirely in English
- Campus locations situated in the very centre of Germany’s industrial locations
- Worldwide network of Partner Universities
With about 70 professorships and over 2000 students in all five media centres of Munich, Stuttgart, Cologne, Hamburg, and Berlin, the university trains the next generation of media talent for an international media society.